Painting Warlord Games Epic British
I went straight to Peter’s article on painting the British and went to Miniature Realms excellent video. He mostly uses citadel contrast which is perfect for me, as I already had most of them, so the outlay for paint wasn’t that high.
Chaos Black & Grey Seer Zenithal
Spraying in the winter in the UK is never straight forward, but I clipped off some of the sprue and undercoated some of the chaps in Chaos Black. I then applied a Grey Seer zenithal highlight to help the Contrast paint hold.
I then applied a light highlight of Corax White from the pot to bring out a little more of the details.
Basilicum Grey Trousers
I am reliably informed (by the internet) that the British wore grey trousers as Waterloo, and so used Basilicum Grey as suggested by Miniature Realms.
I’m not the tidiest of painters, but I tried to steer clear of the torso so as to keep the white as clear as possible. I did deviate a little from the guide at this stage and have changed the order of the painting. Partly because I’m not sure the method of painting red (be careful) will fit with my painting style (splash it on!), so I may need to do more white highlighting later.
The shoes need to be black so I’ve used Black Templar on these. I didn’t take much time on these but more care is required for the Riflemen as some of them are wearing boots for variety.
Faces and Hands
Gulliman Flesh is magic… and I’ve used it extensively on my Gargant army… they work just as well here and I’ve picked out the faces and hands.
Because the trousers are darker you can even go over the lines a little! But I try to be as careful as possible to reduce time going over the paint again.
Hair & Backpacks
Again, stealing all my colour schemes I used a mix of Nazdreg Yellow, Gore Grunta Fur (Brown), and Black Templar for the hair at the bottom of the Shako. This is such a small area, I’ll definitely need to go over the top of the backpacks in the future!
And I’ve done the backpacks and one of the containers in Black Templar as well. It’s definitely getting a lot of use and looking good so far. It’s also a large area to get completed so gives me a good bit of progress on all the models.
In order to speed things up I am batch painting these… in a huge batch! So I’ve done the first steps on 60 strips for all but the backpacks – that’s this evening’s job! That means I’m doing 600 soldiers in a single batch paint!
I’ll split them up once I start to work on more detail areas, but I imagine the guns and shakos (hats) are next.
I’ll let you know how I get on! Hopefully I don’t go crazy.